ONLINE STORE

French colonist Louis Frasier built this home in 1737 as an outpost of European culture on the shore of a new world. It is proudly and magnificently French, with the same high ceilings characteristic of the Vieux Carré apartments in New Orleans.


Frasier built his home of hand-made brick, with wooden pegged columns of cypress. Slate for the roof came over as a ballast in the holds of French sailing ships.


The brick-walled cellar is unusual in this damp region, yet it is so bone dry that previous owners have used it to store books. It now serves as a wine cellar.


The Old French House predates American Independence by more than three decades. French Governor Jean Baptiste Bienville commanded the entire Louisiana Territory from his quarters here.


Records are scarce, but we know the house remained with Frasier’s heirs until 1820. Before joining the United States with the Louisiana Purchase, subsequent residents were of varied nationalities as the colony came under French, Spanish, German and English influence.

 

The Old French House remained a residence until 1962 when it was acquired by Mary Mahoney, her husband Bob, and her brother Andrew Cvitanovich.


Great care has been taken to preserve the charm and character of this venerable landmark, with its exposed brick walls, heart-pine floors, and open fireplaces. Here you will enjoy superb food and drink in an atmosphere rich with the legacy of history.